Monday, December 20, 2010

English – Arabic – Any connection?

As I was reading a book on the history of English language, it was mentioned that English is mainly derived from the three major ancient languages; Latin, Greek and Sanskrit to some extent. But I find alarming similarity between Arabic and English. Look at the few Arabic (Muslim) names mentioned below. Sounds quite funny though

Imdad - I am dad
Ansari - I am sorry
Moin - Move in
Asif - As if
Arif - Are if
Zubair - Zoo bear
Sarfraz – Surprise
Laik - Like
Asin - As in
Arfat - Are fat
Farid - Freed
Faahim - Find him
Anwar - An war
Hussain - Who Sane?
Ehtisham - Eighty Sham
Afroz - Of rose
Altaf - All tough
Firdaus - For those
Kareem - Cream
Baber - Barber
Haider - Hi There
Kamran - Come run
Numan - New man
Saif - Safe

I think I should stop this here only. Else I may get into trouble if I happen to touch some of the names like Mehbub, Arsh or Samad etc. My only attempt was to show the commonality between Arabic and English. In fact all the languages on earth go back to a single source. Then I wonder why do people fight so much over languages? The only languages where there is no ethnic fight whatsoever involved are…. the programming languages :-) hahaha lol. Having said all this, I should confess that one’s mother tongue is always special.

Hey, what about Dixit?? ;-) I think I should shut up now !

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention about Abraar --> Abroad, and Mehvish --> My wish ;-)

    ReplyDelete